Congratulations to Shawna Powell for being named the May Athlete of the Month. Shawna consistently pushes herself, she is always working hard on improving your technique in all her movements, and most importantly you come in and leave with a positive attitude which makes the gym a better place for everyone. Thank you Shawna for making our gym a better place.
1. Please tell us about yourself.
I have been married for 20 years, this year will be 21, we moved to Colorado 13 years ago from Idaho, I have 2 boys and my husband and I own our own business.
2. When did you become a member at Defiance West?
3. What made you join Defiance West and why do you do it now?
I had always been pretty active most of my life but had recently lost my dad to cancer and I was not doing anything except feeling sorry for myself I had been looking at different options to get me motivated again and my friend Jennifer asked me if I wanted to come and try a CrossFit class with her and I said sure! I still come because I am hooked, I really look forward to each day and feel really great when I finish the workout.
4. What were your thoughts after your first workout?
I though holy cow this is hard but something completely different than anything I had ever done!
5.What is your athletic background?
Mostly fitness classes, weight lifting at various gyms and trying to workout at home.
6. What is your favorite movement or workout?
I really like deadlifts, My favorite workouts are ones that I think are going to be really hard and when I finish I think “wow that wasn’t that bad”
7. What is your least favorite? Movements that I haven’t mastered yet,
Pullups and consistent double unders.
8. What has been your favorite or proudest moment since joining?
I did the Spartan race and the CrossFit Open and finished!!!!!
9. How has Defiance West changed your life, lifestyle, and level of fitness?
Defiance has made me more aware of my overall health, the workouts are hard but harder when my eating is not right. I can push my self more now and I look forward to coming every day!
10. What are your fitness goals for this year?
I want to do pullups so for me staying consistent and pushing myself until I get it!
11. What is something most people don’t know about you?
I really like 80’s Hair Band’s and have been to probably 30 Rock concerts!!
12. What advice would you give to people looking to get started at our gym?
Just come and try, you will be amazed at what you can do. Everyone is so welcoming and encouraging, you will get hooked! The coaches are amazing and I learn something new all the time!