April Athlete of the Month
Congratulations to Michelle Johnson for being named the Defiance West Athlete of the Month for April. Whenever Michelle is at the gym she does a great job of working hard, she also does an amazing job of encouraging and helping others in her class. Her sense of humor makes class more enjoyable for everyone and when she is at the gym she makes it a better place for everyone. Even though she is a Yankees fan we still like her. Thank you for being a special part of our gym.
1. Please tell us about yourself. Married to Jerry (almost 12 years), have a son named Carter that is 9 (sure you have seen both at the gym).
Originally from Kansas but have lived in Colorado for 35 years! Have worked in the insurance industry for the last 16 years. But still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up!
2. When did you become a member at Defiance West?
May of 2016
3. What made you join Defiance West and why do you do it now?
It’s all Kirby Ingelhart’s fault! She had a gift certificate for a free month and asked if Jerry or I would want to try it. I came up with several pitiful excuses as to why it wouldn’t work for me and made Jerry try it. After his first workout he came home and said you need to go…you will love it. Well, as usual, Jerry was right (he isn’t on facebook much so hopefully he won’t know I said that J). I do it now because it challenges me, makes me a better athlete and to stay healthy so I can keep up with Carter.
4. What were your thoughts after your first workout?
Holy crap I am going to be sore tomorrow! But couldn’t wait for the next workout!
5. What is your athletic background?
I played volleyball and basketball in high school. Played softball all my life as well. I basically grew up in a basketball gym and on the baseball diamond. I also like to play golf and tennis
6. What is your favorite movement or workout?
I like the workouts that you chip away at…the ones with multiple movements and are usually heavy cardio. I like to row, kettlebell swings and I like cleans.
7. What is your least favorite?
Overhead squats, climbing rope and burpees! You thought I was going to say running didn’t you Cory?!
8. What has been your favorite or proudest moment since joining?
Getting 3 consecutive double unders…or maybe it was just 2. Hard to keep count. Oh and not puking after doing the bike or sled push.
9. How has Defiance West changed your life, lifestyle, and level of fitness?
It has made me care about my body again. It has made fitness a priority in my life again. And hopefully it carries down to Carter.
10. What are your fitness goals for this year?
To get my wrist fixed so I can get back on track. I am having surgery this month so am hoping in 3 months I can continue to get stronger in all areas. My left arm has a lot of catching up to do with my right arm! Starting to look a little like Popeye!
11. What is something most people don’t know about you?
I have climbed 30 of the 54 14er’s in the state of Colorado. I have climbed some of them multiple times. Not sure I will get all 54 but….you never know!
12. What advice would you give to people looking to get started at our gym?
Just do it! Yes it is scary/intimidating. But that is true of anything new you are thinking about trying. Sometimes you just need to step out of your comfort zone. The members at this gym are amazing. They are like family. They welcome you, encourage you, support you. It is just a fun place to workout. I have never once felt uncomfortable. Cory and Cierra are amazing coaches. So knowledgable and always doing what they can to help you be the best you can be.