June Athlete of the Month
Congratulations to Scott Owens for being named Athlete of the Month. Scott is continuously learning about different ways to improve his health with a focus on longevity. He is consistent at the gym and always willing to work hard. He makes the gym more fun when he is there, thank you for being a part of our gym!
1. Please tell us about yourself.
I am a father with 2 daughters and married 16 years. I grew up in Michigan and moved to Colorado after college.
2. When did you become a member at Defiance West?
3. What made you join Defiance West and why do you do it now?
My wife had been going to a few classes months prior. I bought a free class at a silent auction and thought I’d give it a try. I continue to do CrossFit because it fuels my mental wellbeing and increases my performance in the sports I enjoy like biking, skiing, hockey and golf.
4. What were your thoughts after your first workout?
I thought I was in good shape…guess not.
5. What is your athletic background?
I grew up playing all kinds of sports. I attached myself to golf, hockey and skiing as my favorites. I continue to enjoy these sports along with biking and the occasional running race.
6. What is your favorite movement or workout?
I enjoy body weight exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups)
7. What is your least favorite?
Wall balls and dead ball lifts
8. What has been your favorite or proudest moment since joining?
Learning I can wake up in the middle of Winter at 4:30am to attend 5am classes and still function for the rest of the day.
9. How has Defiance West changed your life, lifestyle, and level of fitness?
I am more fit and strong than I have ever been. Committing to fitness through Defiance brought my happiness level and energy levels up. The true value is the people I have met and friendships built.
10. What are your fitness goals for this year?
Improve my body composition and link together 5 muscle-ups.
11. What is something most people don’t know about you?
I played division 1 golf in college
12. What advice would you give to people looking to get started at our gym?
Everyone is there to support you and wants you to succeed. Take your ego out, set clear goals and just keep showing up.