April Athlete of the Month
Congratulations to Christine Schriock for being named the Athlete of the Month. Christine has been incredibly consistent, she is great at pushing herself, and your movement has improved/continues to improve because she is willing to work on it. We love that she has brought her daughter Sydney to join the gym as well. We are lucky to have them at Defiance West.
1. Please tell us about yourself.
I grew up in Florida (Go Gators!) and moved to Summit County, Colorado after college. Then in 2000 to my husband and I got married & moved Glenwood Springs. I’ve been married to Wade for almost 21 years and we have a 15 year old daughter, Sydney, whom many at the gym have worked out with. We have a dog named Buster and we live in Canyon Creek.
2. When did you become a member at Defiance West? Late spring/early summer of 2018.
3. What made you join Defiance West and why do you do it now? Kristine Stinson brought me to a ladies happy hour and I really enjoyed it. We worked out first and then ate (my favorite part). I had thought about trying CrossFit prior but was a little intimated. The variety of the workouts and the community feel keep me motivated to keep going.
4. What were your thoughts after your first workout? The first official workout after I joined was crazy. We were pushing those heavy carts out in the parking lot and it was such a high energy team environment that I loved it and at the same time I could barely breathe!
5. What is your athletic background? I was on swim team, played softball, tennis, waterskiing and volleyball. While I liked sports, I was kind of lazy as a teen and I hated running (it’s not that pleasant in Florida 6 months out of the year). When I moved to Summit County I started (snow) skiing a lot and really grew to enjoy other outdoor activities more such as hiking, snowshoeing, mountain biking and even some running.
6. What is your favorite movement or workout? My favorite movement is most anything with squats (except overhead!).
7. What is your least favorite? Burpees even though I’ve gotten much better at them and like them slightly more now than 3 years ago.
8. What has been your favorite or proudest moment since joining? Committed Club for 2020. I never would have thought when I first joined that I’d be able to make the time to come consistently 4-5 days per week.
9. How has Defiance West changed your life, lifestyle, and level of fitness?
Prior to DW I always worked out but was getting less consistent and didn’t push myself very hard- I was pretty bored. DW has made staying fit more fun and the group environment encourages me to work harder. I feel like I’m less prone to injury from the variety in the cross fit workouts as well.
10. What are your fitness goals for this year? Just staying the course and continuing to improve. A pull-up without assistance is a goal I have now as well.
11. What is something most people don’t know about you? Here are two things: I’m quite shy, and I broke my leg skydiving when I was in college.
12. What advice would you give to people looking to get started at our gym? Push through any intimidation with the term cross fit. Our gym is made up of such a variety of people in different stages of life and fitness and I’ve never felt judged for the stage that I’m in or for any scaling I’ve had to do.