August Athlete of the Month
Congratulations to Jacob Weems for being named the Athlete of the Month for August. Jacob is a great member and coach at the gym. He leads through his example. Jacob consistently works hard, spends time working on areas he struggles with, and is supportive in all of the classes he is a part of. We are lucky to have him at the gym
1. Please tell us about yourself.
Not great at talking about myself… I am 41 and moved to the western slope a decade or so ago from Boulder where I grew up...sort of. Shenoa and I have (5) kids between the two of us, blended family.
I recently started a business that has taken-off and is consuming most of my time. I have worked in the building trades my entire life, primarily roofing.
I’m in long-term recovery from Alcoholism/ Addiction. I typically don’t advertise this because I feel people use that as their identity. Its just one of many parts of my character. That being said. I am sooo grateful for the life I have. I would not be here today if I had not surrendered to a higher power and asked for help.
Not sure if I mentioned this but I like food, a lot, mostly eating it. Cookies and peanut butter.
2. When did you become a member at Defiance West?
September/ October 2018
3. What made you join Defiance West and why do you do it now?
We were working out in Glenwood and then we moved to New Castle, logistically it made sense. Really happy we did! I keep coming back for the community. I am prone to doing things alone but feel a social connection is important.
4. What were your thoughts after your first workout?
This is a great gym; clean, spacious, and everyone is friendly…also very fit!
5. What is your athletic background?
Started out riding BMX/ Freestyle bikes as a kid, did a fair amount of rock climbing as a teen. Later in my 20’s I started running quite a bit, then picked up riding bikes again on the road and trails, finally landed in Crossfit around 38-39.
6. What is your favorite movement or workout?
Anything where I get to rely on my legs instead of my arms. I like Olympic lifting a lot. I feel I can like it and not be good at it.
7. What is your least favorite?
8. What has been your favorite or proudest moment since joining?
Besides being athlete of the month?! Having the opportunity to become a coach and helping others improve is gratifying. Also, those PR’s that happen occasionally are nice, too.
9. How has Defiance West changed your life, lifestyle, and level of fitness?
All positive changes! Life is better all around having the DW community. The programming and consistency provided has made me a better athlete. The emphasis on recovery and tempering workouts has made me feel better overall, not just in the gym.
10. What are your fitness goals for this year?
I have been focusing on getting stronger on the weights.
11. What is something most people don’t know about you?
I’m a licensed barber. Need a sick fade?
12. What advice would you give to people looking to get started at our gym?<