February Athlete of the Month
Congratulations to LaPriel Armijo for being named the February Athlete of the Month. LaPriel is consistent, she always has a positive attitude, and her mindset in gym is what allows here to be successful. She understands that what we do in the gym should help make things in our daily lives easier and making good choices in the gym is how that will happen. Thank you for being apart of our gym and making it a better place.
1. Please tell us about yourself.
I was born and raised on a cattle ranch in Garfield County. My husband and I have been married 27 years. We live in Peach Valley with our dog and 6 horses and still help at the ranch. I have one daughter who lives in Denver and works at Children’s Hospital.
2. When did you become a member at Defiance West?
3. What made you join Defiance West and why do you do it now?
My friend, Michelle James, suggested I come with her and try Defiance West out. She thought I would like it and she was right.
4. What were your thoughts after your first workout?
I thought it would be good for me because it is both cardio and strength training. It was a bit intimidating but Cory, Cierra and all the instructors let me know it was my workout and it could be scaled to my ability.
5. What is your athletic background?
I participated in all high school sports. I taught aerobics back in the Jane Fonda era. Remember the leg warmers and head bands, well, that would be me. I have ridden horses forever, mountain biked and skied for years, Pilates, you name it I have tried it.
6. What is your favorite movement or workout?
I like wall balls and dead lifts.
7. What is your least favorite?
8. What has been your favorite or proudest moment since joining?
Being selected Athlete of the Month.
9. How has Defiance West changed your life, lifestyle, and level of fitness?
Sometimes I will be doing something and I realize that I am stronger than I was in the past. That result, feeling stronger, makes me feel positive and makes me want to continue.
10. What are your fitness goals for this year?
Continue to get stronger and, I believe, I am going to participate in the CrossFit Open.
11. What is something most people don’t know about you?
I love watching football and playing fantasy football.
12. What advice would you give to people looking to get started at our gym?
Know it is your workout and not be intimidated by everyone around you.