September Athlete of the Month
Congratulations to Tom Reece for being named Athlete of the Month for September. Tom has been very consistent to the gym and has a very strong work ethic. We appreciate Tom wanting to do things right, his willingness to continue to work on his weaknesses, and desire to continue to learn. Thank you for making our gym a better place.
1. Please tell us about yourself. 57 years old. Married to Leslie for 34 years.
Two daughters, Kayla and Courtney. Colorado native.
2. When did you become a member at Defiance West? July 2018.
3. What made you join Defiance West and why do you do it now? Leslie had
been encouraging me to join for a while, so I decided to try a class. I do it now because each class is good for my body, mind and soul.
4. What were your thoughts after your first workout? Eholay! I won't be able to
5. What is your athletic background? High school sports were football, wrestling
and track. Mountain biking in college, and always loved to ski.
6. What is your favorite movement or workout? I like the longer workouts which
challenge your stamina and strength. I am learning to like overhead squats, but each squat requires constant focus on good form.
7. What is your least favorite? Double unders. I keep trying to master the
movement, but it will take more practice.
8. What has been your favorite or proudest moment since joining? I am most
proud to be able to attend a class with Leslie. Also being able to learn how to do kipping pull ups. I also like the community at the gym. It is a bunch of hard working amazing people.
9. How has Defiance West changed your life, lifestyle, and level of fitness? It
has helped me manage stress, sleep better and become wiser at taking care of my body. My level of fitness improves each month as I learn to workout smarter.
10. What are your fitness goals for this year? To get at least 5 double unders in a
row, and to do at least 3 strict pull ups.
11. What is something most people don't know about you? I am a dog lover,
pretty good handyman and mechanic. The more your keep your hands busy, the less your mind will wander.
12. What advice would you give to people looking to get started at our gym?
Try it. It is one of the best things you can do for yourself. The gym has strong support and community from its members, and coaches.